Sunday, February 11, 2018

Mr. Kardec

"Mr. Kardec"
Original
Oil on canvas
20" x 16"
SOLD
©Nancy Tokos 2017

Original.  This is a portrait of Allan Kardec, a spiritualist who died in 1869.   I was commissioned to paint his portrait.  It was a terrific challenge.  Many lithographs exist of Kardec but only a few photographs as photography became more available to the general public about 1835. I was give creative freedom.  As I researched, I kept returning to a particular lithograph from which I used an inspiration.  I am quite proud of my interpretation, although it is a slight deviation from my usual approach to the portrait.

Wikipedia describes Mr. Kardec " ... Allan Kardec is the pen name of the French educator, translator and author Hippolyte Léon Denizard Rivail. He is the author of the five books known as the Spiritist Codification, and is the founder of Spiritism."


No comments:

Post a Comment