Tuesday, April 30, 2013

IMAGINE YOUR PORTRAIT IN OIL
11 x 17" Hardboard Panel
$495 + Tax + $30 FEDEX Shipping
allow 6 weeks
TRYING OUT A NEW WAY TO PAINT THE PORTRAIT IN OILS

As you know, I love the charcoal sketch.  But when I signed up for a KRIS FINCH workshop, he instructed to try the preliminary sketch in mechanical pencil.  "Mapping" or as we may recall, the paint-by-numbers look.  I tried this method pretty much.  But managed to get away with leaving a little of the charcoal shading with the overall mechanical pencil mapping.  In the past, I have "drawn" with oil on the brush so this was a revolutionary new way for me to work !
The basic pencil drawing / mapping took 3 hours and KRIS FINCH assured me it would be time well spent.  When I was completely happy with the pencil sketch, the masonite board (gesso'd) was sprayed with fixative.

Since the sketch was refined and a good likeness, the bulk of the work was done before I even started painting.  None of the usual anxiety that plagues me through the oil portrait:  "does it look like her ?"

The eyes were the first to paint, refine and finish.  Once I started laying down the contrasting lights and darks of the face, the underlying forms were easy to shape and determine.  Up to the last frame, total time spent about 10 hours.  I am going to add color reflections and maybe a few catch lights, the usual tweaking, but overall, a great new way to tackle the oil portrait. -
Nancy Tokos


No comments:

Post a Comment